What can be done against fruit flies?
The most important points in brief:
- Fruit flies do not fly to us at home, but are usually included in our purchases
- Once you have the small insects at home, they multiply incredibly quickly
- Fruit flies are harmless and can be eliminated with a few tricks
- The smell of vinegar, which arises from very ripe fruits, also attracts the animals
For many of us, summertime is the best time of the year. But not only we like the warmer temperatures, but also the fruit flies. Who does not know it: As soon as you have filled the fruit bowl with fresh fruit, you quickly get the feeling that the fruits will soon begin to live: it is teeming with fruit flies. But how do the small, 2mm flies get into our four walls? Without knowing it, the fruit flies are usually already in our purchases, which we take home. Female fruit flies lay their eggs, which are so tiny that we cannot see them with the naked eye, on fruits and vegetables. Fruit flies also especially like the vinegar smell, which gives off very ripe fruits.
First of all I have to say: fruit flies are annoying, but harmless. Because compared to other types of flies, they do not transmit any diseases.
Quick measures can help against fruit flies
Since the fruit flies multiply and spread rapidly, measures should be taken immediately if the small insects are discovered. There are tried and tested home remedies and tips, but also other aids that can be used. Here we would like to share the most important tips from our point of view:
- The most famous trick against the annoying insects is the fruit fly trap, which attracts the little critters with its sweet liquid. Pour apple cider vinegar and water into a glass (ratio 2: 1) and mix the whole thing with a few drops of washing-up liquid.
- To drive away the insects, lemons, which have been cut open and peppered with cloves, can be placed near the fruit
- To delay the ripening process of the fruits, the fruits can be stored in the refrigerator
- Sufficient ventilation
If vinegar & Co. are of no use, ready-made fruit fly traps help
Ready-made fruit fly traps, which attract the animals by means of glue mixed with attractant, purchased disinfectants for the kitchen or the fruit fly killer for the socket can be further aids.
No fruit but still fruit flies?
If you do not have any fruit at home - or you already have it in the refrigerator - but still find fruit flies, it is advisable to dispose of the waste accordingly, as there are usually loads of eggs from the little troublemakers in the garbage. Fruit flies can lay eggs not only in the garbage, but also in the dishwasher. Since there is usually dirty leftover food there, which attracts the animals from the smell, it is advisable to keep this place clean as well.
Pests in the garden - this is how you can protect the environment against vermin
22.04.2021The love for animals is a good quality of the human character as it shows empathy. But at some point it’s also good,...Read more
Spring cleaning: clean windows without streaks and streaks
20.05.2021Cleaning the windows is a matter that one likes to do together with the spring cleaning, because one is already in...Read more
Helpful tips against wasps
21.07.2021Some things just have to be named: Wasps are annoying. Of course, you know, the flying companions are extremely...Read more
What can be done against clothes and food moths?
22.07.2021Nobody likes having an armada of insects around the house. However, if the animals are moths, this can have...Read more
What can you do against ants?
22.07.2021Insects have only a few good reasons to invade our four walls: food and warmth and that's about it. If you are aware...Read more